Kids love moon sand (also known as kinetic sand), but it can be pretty pricey to buy from the stores, and you don’t get very much either! But, did you know that you can make your own moon sand in large quantities all by yourself? It’s easy and fairly inexpensive too! I’m sharing our family’s favorite, easy recipe below so that you can make piles and piles of moon sand for your kiddos too!
Moon Sand Recipe
- 8 cups of flour
- 1 cup of oil (baby oil is recommended, we’ve also used coconut oil, just be careful as some oils can go rancid after time)
- Combine both ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl.
- You want the sand to stick together, similar to a snowball when compressed in your hand. If needed you can add more oil or flour as needed, but we’ve found these amounts to work well.
- Store your moon sand in a sealed container to prevent it from drying out
- If your sand starts to dry out just add a little more oil until it is the proper consistency again.
- We like to play with our sand outside when it’s warm enough so that any spills are easily swept away.
To add a little more fun to your sand, try adding some sand toys/molds to your bin. You could also add little figures or cars to play with in the sand too!
Another great idea would be to hide “dinosaur bones” or other “artifacts” in the sand and have your little explorer uncover them!
My kids have spent many hours playing with their bin of sand. And as they play and lose some of the sand (spills happen, of course), we just make more and add it to the bin. Easy Peasy!
Want to read my homeschool related reviews? Find them here: Homeschool Reviews